How to Clean Baby Toys (6 Easy Tips)
Are you looking at your baby’s toys and wondering how they got so grubby? You know they need to be cleaned, but where do you start? What do you use, and how often should you clean baby toys?
Luckily for me, my child’s favorite toy was a soft-bodied baby doll. It was machine washable, so when I could get away with it, I would sneak it away and pop it through the machine and dryer while she was asleep. Voila — one nice, clean doll.
It’s not always that easy though. Let’s look at why we need to clean baby toys, the materials they are made from, and the best way to clean them.
- Clean baby toys regularly to remove germs and prevent sickness; at least once a week and disinfect monthly or when visibly dirty.
- For soft toys, check the label and clean accordingly; machine wash or hand wash, then air dry or use a low-heat dryer cycle.
- Plastic toys can be cleaned with hot water and dish detergent, while silicone and rubber toys should be wiped with a 1:1 vinegar-water solution.
- Wooden toys require gentle cleaning with a damp cloth and 50/50 vinegar-water solution; avoid making the wood too wet to prevent warping or mold.
Table of Contents
- Why Should You Clean Baby Toys?
- How to Clean Baby Toys
- How Often Should I Clean Them?
Why Should You Clean Baby Toys?
Babies love playing with toys, but just think about what they do with them. They throw them around the floor, drool on them, spit up on them, and after all this, they put them in their mouths.
These toys may harbor germs that could make your baby sick. This is especially the case if another family member has been ill recently and handled the toy. Or you might have had a playdate where other babies have played with the toys and left germs behind.
Regular cleaning of baby toys is essential to ensure bacteria can’t take hold. This is especially the case with soft toys, like teddy bears and spongy toys (1).
How to Clean Baby Toys
Different toys will present different challenges when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting them. Let’s explore some of these in more detail.
1. Teddies and Soft Toys
Fabric toys can get dirty quickly and end up housing nasty germs. Check the label on the toy to help you decide which is the best way to clean them.
Some will go through the laundry, and others won’t. If you notice your baby spit up on a teddy, clean it right away with a damp cloth and a mild soap solution.
If they are machine-washable, make sure you use a gentle laundry detergent that’s suitable for babies. You could add a cup of vinegar to help deal with bacteria.
For the toys that can’t be laundered, lightly hand wash in mild soap, and then air dry in the sun. Alternatively, these toys can be run through a low-heat dryer cycle after hand washing. In either case, heat helps to kill germs. As with machine washing, disinfect them regularly.
2. Bath Toys
Bathtime is fun for babies, but they inevitably pee in the bathwater, and you pray that’s where it stops. Then there is the dust and grime you wash off their little bodies. Those plastic ducks and other toys are swimming around in all that.
You get the picture. This is a perfect breeding ground for nasty microbes and mold. These toys must be washed and dried every time they’re used (2).
Wash them after every bath, and hang them to dry in a net bag or an open basket that allows the water to drain. You could also dip them in a bleach solution at a ratio of 1.5 teaspoons of bleach per gallon of water to disinfect them.
Some moms add a drop of hot glue to the “drain hole” in bath toys to prevent water from getting inside them. While this works great, you also have to ensure that your child doesn’t chew or suck on the toy, as you wouldn’t want them consuming the glue.
In my opinion, bath toys are the most challenging baby toys to clean. My child had a few bath toys that I eventually threw away because my best efforts to clean them failed. Remember, when in doubt, throw it out. Your baby’s safety is more important than saving an inexpensive bath toy.
3. Plastic Toys
Plastic toys are a favorite with all babies. They come in many shapes and sizes, from a simple rattle to a battery-powered toy with lights and sounds.
Some simple plastic toys are dishwasher safe, which is an excellent way to clean them. Otherwise, wipe them down daily with some hot water and dish detergent.
If it’s a toy with a battery compartment, remove the batteries before wiping them down. Use an old, dry toothbrush to clean the battery compartment.
4. Silicone and Rubber Toys
These toys are soft, squishy, light, and flexible for your baby to play with. They can be easily handled, but they also pick up a fair amount of germs.
These materials cannot be boiled, as heat changes their texture. They should be wiped down with a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water, left for a few minutes, then rinsed and air-dried.
They can also be cleaned by soaking them in warm soapy water with some added baby shampoo or mild detergent or disinfectant. After about 30 minutes, rinse them in clean water, and pop them in the dish rack to dry.
5. Wooden Toys
Natural wood is the choice for building blocks, train sets, rocking horses, and other toys. Some wood has little grooves where dust and germs might collect.
Cleaning toys made from wood requires some care. You don’t want to get the wood too wet, as it can warp as it dries out. Wood is also porous, so moisture can get trapped and become a source of mold.
Use a damp cloth with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. Scrub gently with a soft brush to remove any dirt from the grooves.
These can be tricky ones to clean unless, like my little one’s favorite toy, you can launder them. There are many different materials that might need different types of cleaning.
You can wipe down plastic doll bodies with detergent and warm water. You can wash doll hair gently with baby shampoo. Your child might find this a fun activity to help with.
You can also wash fabric dolls or doll clothes with warm water and baby shampoo and allow them to dry out completely.
When using a disinfectant or cleaning product for toys and other household surfaces, it is crucial to ensure it will not harm your baby. The AAP offers some safety suggestions, including comments about the use of bleach. It appears that hydrogen peroxide is the least toxic cleaner, resulting in the least amount of adverse reactions.
Dr. Leah Alexander, MD, FAAP
How Often Should I Clean Them?
Toys need to be cleaned when you can see they’re getting dirty. But even if they look good, you should clean them at least once a week and disinfect them monthly.
However, if your baby or others have been sick, if other children have been playing with them, or if your fur baby has licked them, disinfect them immediately.
This will kill off germs and bacteria that regular soap and water won’t eliminate. That way, you can reduce the risk of your baby or other family members being reinfected.
You can use the bleach solution mentioned above to disinfect baby toys. But remember to clean baby toys with soap and water first to remove dirt and dust, then wipe them with the disinfectant (3).
Feedback: Was This Article Helpful?
Thank You For Your Feedback!
Thank You For Your Feedback!
What Did You Like?
What Went Wrong?
How To Disinfect Baby Toys
Baby toys get downright gross. Here’s how to disinfect baby toys while protecting your little ones from toxic chemicals.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Suzi Media Production/Getty Images
Disinfect Plastic Baby Toys in the Dishwasher
Solid plastic baby toys without fabric, porous parts or holes that trap water can be sanitized in the dishwasher.
To kill most germs and bacteria, use a wash setting that’s at least 150 degrees. A sanitize or sani-rinse setting will get even hotter; Whirlpool claims that dishwashers “kill 99.999% of food soil bacteria.” But before you load all your baby’s plastic toys into the dishwasher, do a test run with the softest one, to ensure the high temperature doesn’t melt it.
You could also wash plastic baby toys by hand with an antibacterial dish soap, then submerge them in a solution of a one-quarter teaspoon household bleach and a one quart water. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) sanitizing guidelines, “any remaining bleach will break down quickly as it dries and will not hurt your baby.”
You don’t even need to rinse them. Just let the items air dry on a clean dishtowel or paper towel before they go back into your baby’s hands — and mouth.
Arvydas Lakacauskas/Getty Images
Disinfect Baby Bath Toys in Boiling Water
That floating rubber ducky is cute, but the bathwater stuck inside it can be a problem. Mold may form inside the toy and disperse in the tub during subsequent baths.
One sure and easy way to disinfect plastic and even spongy bath toys? Boil them in water for several minutes. Make sure you squeeze them with tongs as they boil, forcing out any gunky water from the inside. Give them a few more squeezes when you take them out of the water.
Alternatives include a bleach mixture at same ratios as above, or a mixture of one-half cup white household vinegar to one gallon of water. (That’s just one of many household uses for vinegar.) Just remember to give them a squeeze during and after soaking.
Disinfect Plush Baby Toys in Your Washer
Plush toys can get really dirty and funky. Fortunately, most can be cleaned and disinfected in the washing machine. Be sure to zip them into a delicates laundry or other mesh bag, or a zippered pillowcase. These allow water and detergent to flow through and permeate the stuffy. Whirlpool recommends the gentle, hand-wash or delicate cycle.
Dry the stuffed animal(s) on a low heat setting in the dryer if there are no plastic parts. You can leave the item(s) in the delicates bag if you prefer, but it’s probably not necessary.
For a delicate stuffed toy, or one with plastic parts, you can line dry it. But start by rolling the toy a few times in a towel to squeeze out excess water. And don’t rush. It must be completely dry or it can become a petri dish for mold and bacteria.
Plush toys that can’t be washed may be spot cleaned or sanitized with a garment steamer or steam cleaner. Both can reach temperatures of 220 degrees, high enough to kill any crud in the toy. Test a spot first to make sure the steam doesn’t damage the material. And, as always, allow the toy to completely dry out before returning it to your child.
Collab Media/Getty Images
Disinfect Wooden Baby Toys With Vinegar
Wooden baby toys are long-lasting and promote hands-on learning, but that’s not all. Wood is also naturally antimicrobial, meaning it doesn’t provide the same breeding ground for bacteria as fabric and plastic.
To disinfect wooden toys, wipe them down with a 1:16 mix of vinegar and water. Avoid soaking wooden toys in the vinegar solution or any other liquid; it could make the paint or clear finish peel off and leave the toy waterlogged.
Nelly Senko/Getty Images
Disinfect Electronic Baby Toys With Diluted Bleach Spray
Electronic toys that make noise or light up, or any toy requiring a battery, cannot be submerged in water, because the moving parts shouldn’t get wet. Instead, spray but don’t saturate these toys with a spray made of one-quarter teaspoon bleach to one quart water. A little bleach goes a long way. Then wipe them down with a soft, dry cloth.
Vinegar and water is also an option here. Just keep the liquid away from the electronic parts.
Stefan Tomic/Getty Images
Disinfect Baby Books With Alcohol Wipes
You don’t want hardcover baby board books to get wet, but you can sanitize them by wiping them down with isopropyl alcohol wipes. A dishcloth or paper towel dabbed in a vinegar-water mix also works. The latter will leave a taste residue on books, but that’s actually an upside — as it discourages your baby from putting books in their mouth.
Books with lightweight paper covers or pages are obviously harder to clean. You can wipe down the cover of a hardcover book. But if you’re really concerned about crud on softer books, here’s a trick: Put them in the freezer for a few days to kill anything nasty that might be growing on them.
Originally Published: February 23, 2023
Elizabeth Heath is a travel, lifestyle and home improvement writer based in rural Umbria, Italy. Her work appears in The Washington Post, Travel + Leisure, Reader’s Digest, TripSavvy and many other publications, and she is the author of several guidebooks. Liz’s husband is a stonemason and together, they are passionate about the great outdoors, endless home improvement projects, their tween daughter and their dogs. She covers a variety of topics for Family Handyman and is always ready to test out a new pizza oven or fire pit.
How to clean soft toys at home without washing
Toys are often put on the shelf, unaware that they turn into dust collectors. And if children get down to business, then the toys become dirty, exude a fetid odor, become a breeding ground for microbes that provoke permanent infectious diseases and their relapses. To prevent this, you need to be able to clean soft toys with the right tools. This article will tell you how to clean soft toys at home without washing.
- Dry cleaning soft toys at home
- Wet foam cleaning
- How to clean toys in various materials
- Heavy soiling
- Instructions for washing soft toys
Remedy for soiling
Dust should be periodically removed from soft toys by passing them with a soft brush or a vacuum cleaner with a furniture brush. Many people simply wash their soft toys in the washing machine, it’s as easy as shelling pears and does not cause difficulties. There are also radical methods, such as putting the item in the freezer to disinfect.
How do you clean a soft toy that can’t be washed? The task may be more difficult. Such products require careful attitude and certain rules of care. Often the question also arises of how easy it is to clean a large soft toy.
Do not machine wash the following toys:
- If the material is subject to heavy shedding.
- The quality of the fabric is highly questionable and may be damaged when washed.
- If the toy filler is synthetic winterizer.
- Musical toys also require careful handling. How to wash a toy with a mechanism located inside is not always clear. The first step is to remove the mechanism from it, and only then erase it. Otherwise, thoughtless washing threatens to break the toy.
Reasonable question: how to clean a soft toy that cannot be washed. When washing these toys, it is best to use the dry method or the gentle wet method with foam.
Dry cleaning of soft toys at home
The method does not involve getting things wet to prevent them from becoming unusable. There are the following popular dry cleaning methods.
This is a cleaner known since ancient times. The use of baking soda allows you to kill all the germs in the toy and bring it to a clean look without water. To clean with soda you will need: a brush, 100 grams of soda, a garbage bag, a cotton towel. First you need to walk on the toy with a furniture nozzle for a vacuum cleaner to draw in all the dust.
Place the toy in a plastic bag, put soda in it and shake the bag so that the soda is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the toy. Leave on for a few hours for best results.
Next, remove the item from the bag and wrap it with a damp towel. In the presence of complex, difficult-to-remove stains, the method may not be effective.
Interesting! To prevent toys from getting dirty, you can sew clothes for them from sliders or blouses, or put them on clothes left over from a newborn baby. The whole process is easy to beat, turning it into a fun game. The child will definitely not remain indifferent!
The method is similar to cleaning with soda with some nuances. Needed for cleaning: 100 grams of starch, brush, oilcloth, cloth for laying under the work surface, bag.
The principle of the method is to rub starch into the pile of the toy. In this state, the thing is left for 15 minutes. Next, clean the starch with a soft brush and put the item in the freezer. Starch cannot be contacted with water, white marks will remain on the surface of the toy. Also, the method does not disinfect things.
Wet cleaning with foam
The method is used if the toy is filled with balls or has small elements in its composition. Such products are only slightly washed, preventing deep wetting.
- Pour some water into a basin and add baby shampoo under running water to form a good lather.
- Spread the foam over the object with a sponge and clean problem areas.
- Then the wet toy is blotted with a towel and left for a day to dry.
- When completely dry, brush through to lift up the pile and make it look more attractive.
How to clean toys made of various materials
These items are best cleaned with soap and foam. It is applied to the toy, left for a while for a better effect. The residue is then removed with a damp cloth.
These items look attractive, but are very dusty and difficult to clean. Plush toys are allowed to be washed by hand, having previously found out if the toy does not shed.
How to clean a dirty plush toy at home: the toy is placed in a basin with water and powder, soaked for half an hour, then carefully washed and dried.
Made of felt
Only dry cleaning, gentle damp rubbing with foam or gentle hand washing without spinning is appropriate in this matter. Otherwise, the thing may sit down, and pellets form on it.
Strong types of pollution
It happens that it is impossible to restore the original cleanliness of the product using one of the above methods. How to clean a soft toy from dirt ?! Severe dirt can only be removed with a vacuum cleaner and wet cleaning.
Tip! If stains cannot be removed with soapy water, a stain remover should be used.
Rules for washing soft toys
- Small and furry items are washed in the washer using a special bag.
- Delicates or hand wash required.
- Permissible water temperature is not more than 30 degrees.
- An additional rinse should be considered to completely get rid of traces of powder.
- The use of conditioner will make the toy soft and fluffy.
- Spinning is allowed only at 600 rpm and no more. Otherwise, deformation of the product cannot be avoided.
- Dry toys hanging or lying flat.
- After drying, the toy must be carefully straightened.
The issue of washing soft toys becomes especially relevant during the spread of acute respiratory infections. They can carry bacteria. If washing the product is contraindicated, the child will have to give up playing with it for a while. Other toys need to be processed and cleaned at least every other day or two.
The use of disinfectants containing chlorine is not recommended. It is better to wash at the maximum temperature allowed by the manufacturer or hold it over steam (you can also iron thoroughly).
A soft toy for a child is a true friend, so you should not be lazy and clean them well. Otherwise, they will pose a danger to the health of the baby.
With proper care, his favorite toys will please him for a long time and remain a pleasant childhood memory.
Did the article help you?
( 1 rating, average 5 out of 5 )
Like this article? Share with friends:
How to wash a soft toy. How to clean items that cannot be washed
If your family has a small child, then in any case there are soft toys in the house. Surely the baby is busy with them daily. He also likes to sleep with fluffies, burying his nose in the pile. However, after such squeezes, the appearance of furry and not very “friends” leaves much to be desired over time. Then the question arises of how to properly and with what means to wash soft toys.
All toys, especially soft toys, are prone to the accumulation of dust in large quantities. Therefore, they are an excellent breeding ground for dust mites, microbes and bacteria. Therefore, washing and cleaning such products should be regular and mandatory.
But the answer to the question of whether soft toys can be washed should be indicated on the labels for them. It also indicates at what temperature the products can be washed. If they are absent, then inspect the item, then it will become clear to you whether it is possible to wash the toy and how.
There are articles for which washing is strictly contraindicated.
- Those with glued-on parts (eyes and nose, buttons or beads, etc.).
- Instances too large. They just won’t fit in an automatic car.
- Musical toys because the interior contains microcircuits and batteries that can be destroyed by contact with water.
- Products whose surface is decorated with natural fabrics.
- Toys with natural organic fillings such as sawdust, feathers or buckwheat husks.
If you have come to the conclusion that the toy can be washed, then choose the way you will do it: by hand or in an automatic machine.
Many toys are not machine washable. But don’t be upset about this. Hand washing is sometimes better and more gentle than automatic washing.
When the toy is small and easy to wring out, it should be washed in a certain sequence.
- Fill a basin with warm water (approximately 30 degrees). It needs so much that the toy is completely covered with liquid.
- Soak the toy in water after washing with soap or detergent. Leave on for 20-30 minutes.
- Scrub the product with a brush if the characteristics of the material allow such procedures.
- Keep the toy in your hands so that you can clean all dirt well. Press.
- Rinse it, changing the water several times. Press.
- Lay to dry on a radiator or outdoors in the sun.
Hand washing soft fabrics requires following some recommendations.
- If the toy is intended for the development of fine motor skills of the crumbs, then the filler in it will consist of many small balls. Machine wash is prohibited for such heroes. It threatens not only with damage to the product, but also with a breakdown of the washing unit, since the balls can pop out due to seams that have spread from washing.
- Toys with music require a special approach. They only need to be cleaned by hand or gently washed by hand, after removing the musical parts. You will have to open the product, pull out the batteries and microcircuits, wash it, and then put everything in and sew it up again.
- Grease stains can be removed with ethyl alcohol. It is applied to the pile with a cotton pad before the main wash.
- Only natural baby powders can be used as laundry detergents. Do not forget that the health of your son or daughter depends on it.
- Rinsing is an integral part of washing. It must be of high quality. Residues of detergent or soda can cause allergic reactions.
- If the toy with music is equipped with electronics from head to toe, then you will not be able to remove the wires and batteries. You will have to carry out such a product dry or slightly damp cleaning without water.
Washing is washing, and a quartz lamp in every home will not hurt. Processing toys with it will protect the product from reproduction in soft wool of bacteria and microorganisms.
How do I wash soft toys in the washing machine?
If the tag allows you to machine wash your toy, your task of caring for the product will become much easier. The sequence of actions will be as follows.
- If the toys are small or have long hair, wash them in a special bag. Although automatic washing is not indicated for products with plastic parts, you can take a chance and wash such toys. But first you have to remove all small elements from them.
- Select a setting for delicate fabrics. You can also set the program for hand washing or gentle care.
- Water temperature must not exceed 30 degrees. Otherwise, low-quality fabric will shed.
- Water can also be at a higher temperature if allowed by the manufacturer.
- Run an extra rinse cycle to thoroughly remove detergent residue.
- Fabric softener will be useful. He will keep the fluffy pile, smooth it out.
- Select a spin speed of no more than 600 revolutions. Otherwise, as the wash cycle ends, you will get a completely deformed and wrinkled product from the drum.
- After washing the toys, place them on a flat surface to allow any remaining water to drain off. Then send for final drying on a battery or under the sun’s rays.
In addition to babies, there are real giants among soft toys that not only won’t fit into a washing machine or basin, but they can hardly fit in hands. In addition, not all fillers can be wetted with water.
For example, such procedures are contraindicated for organic viscera — sawdust, which, after getting wet, will immediately become unusable. But they need to be cleaned just as regularly as other plush products. What to do in this case?
If the toy is small, proceed as follows .
- Take a plastic bag larger than the toy you are about to clean. Place the product in the bag in such a way that there is a little free space.
- When cleaning one toy, add one glass of potato starch to the bag. If you put several products in a bag, then pour starch in proportion: one glass of powder for one toy.
- Tie up the bag with a string or rubber band and start shaking it vigorously. You will have to sweat for at least 30 minutes.
- Then go over the entire surface of the product with a clothes brush. It will remove the remnants of starch and smooth out the villi.
If the toy is too shaggy, the rest of the cleaning powder can be removed with a regular vacuum cleaner.
In a situation where you need to wash a baby friend of a larger size, the number of ways is very limited, since it will not be possible to stuff the product into a bag or into a washing machine. But cleaning even such toys should be carried out regularly. How to wash large soft toys in this case?
The best solution is to go to the dry cleaners. But this option is not always convenient for time and financial reasons. Then baking soda will help out, which is applied to the pile, and then gently rubbed and combed with a brush with hard bristles.
Furniture cleaner is also a possible alternative. For example, foam («Vanish»), which removes visible dirt well.
Such toys can be washed by hand, but the spinning issue is unlikely to be solved. When wet, the furry beast will be very heavy and it will definitely not work to unscrew it.
If old yellow stains appear on the toy, a solution of fresh lemon juice and warm water will cope with them.
What should be the laundry during quarantine?
During the period of exacerbation of various diseases transmitted by airborne droplets and other infections and viruses, soft toys should be especially carefully cared for, since they are carriers of bacteria in the literal sense.
If washing is contraindicated, the child will have to stop playing with it for a while. Other toys need to be processed and cleaned at least every other day or two.
Wash at the highest temperature allowed by the manufacturer. After washing, rinse with boiling water. Dry toys only in the apartment, as you can bring the virus from the street. Do not forget to treat the surface on which you put your plush friend to dry with a preparation with antimicrobial and disinfecting effects.
The best disinfectants are very low or high temperatures and hot steam. The best solution is to treat the toy with steam from the iron.
A soft toy for a child often becomes a true and best friend, so care for them must be of high quality. Otherwise, they will pose a danger to the health of the baby. Do not be lazy to carry out frequent cleaning and washing of products, then they will retain their appearance and will please the child for a long time.
Vacuuming soft toys
The easiest way is to vacuum the toys with a regular vacuum cleaner or detergent, after which the toy will need to be dried. For more thorough cleaning, the following methods can be used.
Hand wash soft toys
You will need a clean sponge or soft cloth, a gentle detergent or regular shampoo. Dissolve the cleanser in warm water and whisk until soapy bubbles form. Wet a sponge with soapy water and gently scrub the soft toy, being careful not to absorb too much liquid. To wash away the dirt, and not just smear it on the toy, rinse the sponge as often as possible. Dry the toy on the battery. As a rule, it takes about a day. This method is used if the toy is very large, if it has glued parts, a bright dark color or stuffing made of heterogeneous material, sawdust.
Can toys be washed in the washing machine?
If the toy says machine washable, run a delicate wash cycle. Toys can only be washed with baby powder, water should not exceed 30 ° C. When rinsing, you can add a little fabric softener. Hang them to dry.
Dry cleaning soft toys
For this procedure, you will need a large plastic bag, baking soda (about half a glass for 2-3 medium-sized soft animals), soft brush. Put the toys in a bag (it is better to clean 2-3 at a time), pour out the soda. Close the bag and shake it vigorously for a minute. After that, take out the toys and brush with a soft brush to remove the baking soda along with the dirt. For large toys, you can use a vacuum cleaner.
Can soft toys be dry-cleaned?
If your favorite toy is heavily soiled, light dry cleaning is allowed. There are two types of cleaning: dry
. Dry cleaning uses special chemical solvents to remove dirt. In all Moscow dry cleaners, the same products are used: more often perchlorethylene (ethylene chloride), less often — hydrocarbons, gasoline, monofluorotrichloromethane or trifluorotrichloromethane. The exact effect of the vapors of these solvents on the children’s body has been little studied. It is only known that for quite a long time (up to 3 months!) A thing that has been dry cleaned with a solvent continues to emit harmful fumes. Moreover, the smaller the child, the more sensitive his body is to these chemical “attacks”. So if your baby is growing or you are just waiting for him to appear, it is advisable to take all things (not only children’s) for water treatment. In this case, the dirt is removed with special detergents without solvents. For complete removal of detergents, things are thoroughly rinsed.
We clean soft toys with cold!
If a toy hasn’t been cleaned for several months, or even years — inherited from grandmothers — the probability that it contains mites is almost one hundred percent. However, this is not a problem. Cold will help us get rid of ticks. Place the toy in a plastic bag and leave overnight in the freezer. This procedure will kill the mites and refresh the appearance. But if the toy does not fit in the freezer, only winter can help here. Hang the toy bag outside the window when it’s freezing outside. Toys bring joy to our children, help them develop, and with them comes an understanding of friendship. Indeed, often the first friend becomes a teddy bear or a hare donated by parents or grandmothers. The animal is given a name and a place in the baby’s crib is determined. Do not forget that the health of the baby depends on clean, well-chosen toys. Let them bring him only joy.
Which of us did not have wonderful friends in childhood — teddy bears, bunnies, mice? Yes, and adults sometimes do not want to part with them and collect entire collections of toys. Kids sometimes do not want to part with them for a moment — and to kindergarten, to the sandbox, to bed.
And how not to treat your beloved bear with tea or jam, and how not to paint on mustaches for a bunny or a cat. After such friendly «meetings» toys look deplorable. And then the question arises — is it possible and how to wash soft toys so that they please the children again? This will be discussed in the article.
Keeping simple rules
- First, we note that they are (sadly enough) a collector of dirt and dust, as well as various microbes. Given the fact that children love to taste everything, it will not be superfluous to learn how to clean it without harm to the toy.
- To understand the degree of pollution, you need to look at how often the child comes into contact with and plays with it. If they are inseparable 24 hours a day, then care should be permanent.
- Wash your soft friend at least once a month. Cleaning soft toys at home is simple, the main thing is to remember some rules so as not to spoil the item.
There are several cleaning methods:
- In the washing machine.
- Dry cleaning.
- Use of soap suds.
Parents can choose any, we will tell you what each type is.
In the washing machine
Some people are afraid to use household appliances in order not to damage the toys. But in vain. Toys in the typewriter machine are washed much better and better. If all actions are performed correctly, «pets» are not threatened by deformation and breakage.
Before the process, you need to carefully examine the toy and its parts. Namely, the size (the toy should “fit” into the drum, but not fill the entire space with itself).
The presence of additional decorations and stickers (nose, beads, bows, buttons, etc.) is also better to remove before washing and pay attention to what the animal is filled with (manufacturers use different materials — foam rubber, cotton wool, sawdust, synthetic winterizer ).
They all react differently to water. A toy with sawdust after washing may be unusable if there are electronic mechanisms, such as batteries, tape recorders with voice recordings, etc. (they must be removed before the process).
And, of course, we pay attention to the appearance of the toy — are there any natural components, for example, fur. Knowing all the details, you can prepare the item for cleaning without exposing it to corrosion and deformation.
Another important detail — they should only be washed with mild detergents — baby soap or powder. It will be useful to have a special laundry bag.
It will protect against a powerful drum and keep its shape. In addition, it will help to avoid getting into the working mechanism of small villi, hairs. If the bag is not available, a regular pillowcase will help.
There is no such childhood in which at least one toy was not present. At all times, a soft toy that requires special care has been popular. Today, the ranks of children’s fun replenish mechanical products, those that contain wires, batteries. You can take care of these, but you will have to make more effort. In order to make cleaning easy for you, so that the soft product does not lose its original shape, appearance, color and functionality, so that you know how to wash soft toys at home, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the rules, tips and precautions.
In order not to ruin your child’s favorite toy, you need to know the simple rules of washing
Basic rules before washing
- Before washing any toy, it is important to read the information on the label. Manufacturers indicate on the label or insert for the product information regarding washing, whether it is possible to wash the machine in a washing machine, what detergent can be used, and the temperature of the water.
- When washing in a washing machine, plush products are recommended to be placed in a washing net.
- Wash on delicate cycle.
- Choose the right detergent, do not use ordinary powder, better use baby powder or baby soap.
- It is important to gently rinse the product well.
- It is not recommended to use the spin function when washing in a washing machine or by hand.
- The information on the label will help you determine the temperature of the water. If the toy is old and this information is poorly visible, then the maximum water temperature should be no more than thirty degrees. With heavy soiling and rare washing — sixty degrees.
- Plush joys to obey vertically, on a clothesline or batteries. Knitted only horizontally, on a cloth or towel.
When machine washing toys, turn off the spin mode
Cleaning with soda or starch
There are a number of toys that are difficult to wash or they contain many small elements, battery wires. If it is a soft and fleecy product, you can clean it with soda or starch. To do this, follow these rules:
- Place the plush in a plastic bag.
- Use half a cup of baking soda or starch for several smaller toys.
- Tie the bag tightly and shake for a few minutes.
After the procedure, the plush baby friend must be thoroughly cleaned from the remnants of the product. To do this, use a brush or the shaking method. If the toy is large, then in order to clean it, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle.
Use the vacuum cleaner carefully, as small parts can get into the middle.
There are a number of toys that can be cleaned without a main wash. These are plush animals that have non-sick pollution, consist of leather inserts or are filled with a substance that is forbidden to wash. To properly and safely clean, use a sponge or cloth, warm water and baby soap. Wet a sponge, apply soap on it, and wipe the stained area. When you get the desired result, remove the soap patches with a new sponge dipped in clean, non-soapy water.
Toys with balls inside can only be washed by hand. To do this, prepare a basin with warm water, add grated soap and baby shampoo, form a foam and clean with this foam.
Use a clean sponge and water for final cleaning. A terry towel is good for residual moisture removal. In order to give shape and appearance, it is recommended to comb the plush friend with a brush.
The toy can be cleaned with a soapy sponge
Hand washing rules
Baby’s little and soft friends can be washed by hand, as there are small parts that can damage the drum during washing in a washing machine. If the toy is not very dirty, then you can clean it at a water temperature of thirty degrees, if you have not cleaned it for a long time and there is a lot of dust on it, then at least sixty degrees. Fill a basin with water, soak a bear or teddy dog, apply plenty of soap and leave for ten minutes. If possible, use a brush for a scraper. It is important to rinse well so that no soapy residue remains, as this can cause an allergic reaction in the child.
Do not clean children’s toys with a mechanism in the usual way, as this will lead to loss of functionality. If possible, clean the product from small parts, batteries. If the plush friend contains balls, then you need to wash it in a special bag. You can also put fuzzy tennis balls in the drum. To prevent the thing from shedding, add citric acid.
Rubbing alcohol works well for removing greasy stains. Apply it to cotton wool and treat the stain.
Do not wash toys with mechanism, batteries or by hand or in a washing machine, only light damp cleaning. For washing in a washing machine, use a special mesh, and only natural detergents that will not harm the baby. With rare cleaning, and this should be done once every three months, dust mites can start on your favorite plush animal. To completely get rid of them, washing simply is not enough. To do this, wrap a soft toy in a bag and put it in the freezer or, in the winter season, outside, on the balcony, for ten hours.
When buying soft toys for children, pay attention not only to their appearance, but also to the fact how they will need to be looked after in the future. If your little one loves plushies, you should definitely know how to wash soft toys to remove any dirt from them. This is necessary not only in order to maintain their external attractiveness, but to a greater extent — to avoid the multiplication of microbes that adversely affect the child’s body.
Where to start?
Before you start removing dirt, dust, stains of unknown origin from fluffy fabric, do the following:
- Familiarize yourself with the labels on the products.
- Sort items by size and washing method.
- Choose the appropriate processing method — some items can only be dry cleaned, others can be washed and even machine washed.
Important! When choosing a cleaning method, be sure to consider the dimensions of your item. Large toys are much more difficult not only to wash, but also to dry well. Stagnation of moisture inside can lead to the growth of mold and other pathogenic bacteria. Chemical residues from washing powder with insufficient rinsing can make your child’s play and sleep unsafe. Find out below how to deal with this task and avoid problems.
How to clean soft toys?
Those toys that are strictly not recommended to be washed can be cleaned using 3 methods:
- damp but not thoroughly washed;
- Freeze off dirt — mainly suitable for small items.
Important! To clean soft toys, try to choose more gentle options. Then the object itself will last longer, its appearance will remain unchanged and you will not have to worry about its harmful effects on the child and the adults around him.
Soft toys with built-in musical mechanisms are dry cleaned. To apply it, do the following sequence of actions:
- Take the contaminated item.
- Put it in a large plastic bag.
- Pour 0.5 cup starch or baking soda into it.
- Tie up the bag.
- Shake it for 5-10 minutes.
- Open the bag and take out the contents.
- Brush or vacuum the product.
- Remove to fresh air for about an hour.
Wet cleaning without washing can be done in 2 ways.
Apply this type of cleaning to felt toys as follows:
- Take a clean cloth.
- Wet it with water and wring it out.
- Lather with baby soap.
- Rub it onto soiled areas.
- Remove the applied soap with a clean, damp cloth.
- Lay the toy on the balcony until dry.
Important! Also, the wet cleaning method is suitable for plush products filled with anti-stress balls.
Wet clean soft toys suitable for items with small parts and built-in mechanisms:
- Pour water into the basin.
- Pour a small amount of shampoo into it.
- Lather the water and use a sponge to lather.
- Wipe the toy with it.
- Remove applied foam with a damp towel.
- Blot excess water with a terry towel.
- Lay it out on a cloth or balcony to dry.
This method is very effective against dust mites. Follow these steps and you will not have to worry about the fact that these harmful insects have settled in your child’s favorite toy:
- Take a large plastic bag.
- Place a plush pet in it.
- Put it in the refrigerator at least overnight.
Important! If your plush pet is very large and does not fit in the refrigerator, leave it outside overnight during the cold season.
If the label indicates that you can wash the item you need, feel free to proceed with the procedure.
Soft toys can be hand washed if they are not very large and there is no mechanism inside. Washing is done in this way:
- Take a basin and fill it with warm water.
- Soak the toy in water and lather with baby soap.
- Leave it in water for 10 minutes.
- Scrub soiled areas with a brush if necessary.
- Rinse the toy with water and lay it out to dry.
Are you wondering if toys can be washed in a washing machine? Yes, you can, if it is not very large and it has a label with a note that allows this type of washing.
Washing soft toys in the washing machine is done as follows:
- Put the soft toys in the machine, after putting them in a special laundry bag or in an old pillowcase.
- Pour baby powder into a special compartment — it is even better to take liquid granules, which dissolve and wash out more easily and are washed out when rinsing.
- Do not turn on the spin function.