Biography vs. Autobiography: Differences and Features
biography vs autobiography
invincible_bulldog / iStock / Getty Images Plus
While an autobiography and a biography both tell the story of someone’s life, they are not the same thing. When a person writes his or her own life story, the finished work is an autobiography. When an author writes a book about another person’s life, the result is a biography.
Key Biography vs. Autobiography Differences
While there are some similarities between biographies and autobiographies, there are several notable differences between the two types of books.
- Authorship: Who writes the book is the primary difference between an autobiography and a biography. An autobiography is always written by the person the book is about. A biography is always written by someone other than the subject of the book.
- Point of View: An autobiography is usually written in first person point of view (I, me, my) since the book is about the author’s own experiences. A biography is typically written in third person point of view (she, her, hers, he, him, his) since the author is describing someone else’s experiences.
- Authorized vs. Unauthorized: Authorized means that the book is written with the permission and cooperation of the person the book is about, while unauthorized means that it is not. While a biography can be authorized or unauthorized, an autobiography is always authorized.
- Degree of objectivity: A biography tends to be more objective than an autobiography. Biography writers typically gather information through a journalistic research project that includes reviewing records of events and interviews with the subject of the book and other people. An autobiography author typically bases the content on his or her recollections of events as they took place rather than incorporating input from other sources.
Similar Elements of Biography and Autobiography
Biographies and autobiographies do share some elements in common.
- Primary purpose: The primary purpose of both types of books is to give an account of a person’s life.
- Non-fiction: Both biographies and autobiographies are works of nonfiction that represent events that occur during a person’s life.
- Notable subjects: The people whose stories are told in biography or autobiography form tend to be people who are widely known for their accomplishments, such as celebrities, athletes, business leaders, political leaders, and other high-profile individuals.
Is a Memoir the Same as an Autobiography?
While a memoir is written by the individual the book is about, it is not exactly the same as an autobiography.
- An autobiography typically tells the overall story of the author’s life, following a timeline through the person’s formative years until the time the book is published. A formal, fact-based writing style is used.
- A memoir covers a much shorter period than an autobiography, focusing on a specific event or aspect of an individual’s life rather than telling the full story. A memoir tends to have a more casual, emotive tone.
Biography and Autobiography Examples
There are numerous examples of widely-read biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs.
Biography Example: Steve Jobs
Journalist and author Walter Isaacson shares the life story of one of the most influential figures in the technology industry in his biography of Steve Jobs. To tell this story, Isaacson spent more than two years researching Jobs’ life, interviewing well over 100 people who knew him. By piecing together accounts from those who lived, loved, worked with, competed with, and were influenced by Jobs, the author was able to tell the story of this unique individual’s life in biography form.
Autobiography Example: I Am Malala
In I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, Malala Yousafzai shares the story of her extraordinary life. As a child in Pakistan, she became an outspoken advocate for education at a very young age. As a result, at the age of 15, she was shot in the head by members of the Taliban. She recovered, returned to school, and went on to speak about her experiences at the United Nations. In addition to writing her autobiography, she founded the Malala Fund, a nonprofit committed to worldwide access to education for girls, and became the youngest person honored with a Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 17.
Memoir Example: Born a Crime
Trevor Noah, best known as a stand-up comedian and host of The Daily Show, shares insights into another aspect of his life in Born a Crime. This memoir focuses on Noah’s early days as the multiracial child of a black mother and white father growing up in South Africa during apartheid. During this time, interracial relationships were against the law in his country, so Noah’s very existence was unlawful. Written in a light, storytelling style that is both touching and funny, this memoir provides unique insights into the author’s upbringing in difficult times under extraordinary circumstances.
Unique Insights Into Life Stories
Reading works of nonfiction about the lives and experiences of interesting people can be very educational. Sometimes these books are entertaining, sometimes they are motivating, and sometimes they are heartbreaking. Regardless, they are always informative. Expand your horizons by reading all kinds of books, including biographies, inspiring autobiographies, and powerful memoirs.
Autobiography vs Biography: Read the Comparison Here!
Autobiography and biography are the common formats to tell a story. Writing an autobiography is different from a biography, although both describe the character of the story of one’s life.
Both autobiography and biography have different characteristics. So it is important to understand the difference between them to ensure you are writing within the correct scope.
This blog will discuss autobiography vs. biography to help you understand the key differences and similarities between them.
What is an Autobiography?
An autobiography is a description of a person’s life written by that person. As the writer is the main character, autobiographies use the first person narrative throughout.
The aim of writing an autobiography is to describe the achievements and life experiences of the narrator.
The autobiography format typically starts with early childhood and chronologically lists down the life experiences. These include information about a person’s childhood, career, life choices, achievements, and the difficulties they faced.
Key Traits of an Autobiography
- Written in the first person
- More subjective than biographies
- Broad in scope often cover the writer’s entire life up to the present
- Inform and explains the motive behind the subject’s actions
Examples of Popular Autobiographies Include
The Story of My Life by Helen Keller and The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
You can also refer to some more autobiography examples online if you want to get inspiration and write about your life.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That’s our Job
What is a Biography?
A biography is the story of a person’s life written by someone else. Usually, people write biographies about a famous personalities.
Since the writer is telling the story of someone, that’s why biographies are written in a third-person perspective.
Like an autobiography, biographies also cover the entire subject’s life. So, it is important to include details about birthplace, education, childhood, relationships, etc.
Key Traits of a Biography
- Written in the third person point of view
- Follows chronological order
- More formal than autobiographies
- Cover the subject’s entire life
- Requires more research and fact-checking to ensure all the details are correct
Examples of Popular Biographies Include
His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis and Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald William Clark
Key Difference Between Autobiography and Biography
The key differences between autobiography and biography are discussed in more detail in the following points.
- Biography is a detailed description of the person’s life story by someone else. While autobiographies are written by the subject themselves.
- Biographies can be written with or without the permission of the subject. Autobiographies are self-written stories. Therefore, they do not require any permission.
- The biography contains information from different sources, so it projects a different perspective to the readers. In autobiographies, writers present the information in their own way, thus providing a biased and a more narrowed perspective.
- In an autobiography, the first-person narrative like I, me, etc., is used to make an intimate connection with the readers. On the other hand, a biography is written in the third person, providing a less intimate connection.
- Biography aims to inform readers, while the purpose of writing an autobiography is to share the life experiences of the author.
How are they Different from a Memoir?
A memoir is similar to an autobiography. It is also the story of a person’s life written by that person.
The main difference between autobiography vs memoir is that a memoir focuses on reflecting and establishing an emotional connection. It not only presents the facts but also provides a personal and intimate story about the major happenings in their life.
The key difference between memoir and biography is that a memoir gives a complete immersion of the subject’s voice. But a biography provides full contextual information that reads like a novel but is non-fiction in nature
Autobiography vs. Biography vs. Memoir: Comparison Chart
Want to know more about autobiography vs biography vs memoir meaning and the key difference and similarities? Here is a comparison chart for your help.
|It means an account of the author’s life story||It means an account of a person’s life story by someone else||It means an account of personal experience or event|
|As it is a self-written story thus authorization is not required||Authorization is not mandatory||Authorization is not mandatory|
|Express or Inform||Inform||Express|
|It is based on emotions and thoughts||It is based on facts from different sources||It is based on personal thoughts, feelings, and reactions|
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Hopefully, the above guide helps you understand the difference between an autobiography and a biography.
For a successful autobiography, you need to tell your story in a way to make your readers feel in your place.
Writing a captivating autobiography is not an easy task. You need to plan your time, read books for inspiration, and search for information about various writing styles and formats.
If all of this seems like an overwhelming task to you, then get help from the legitimate essay writing service online.
Simply contact us and share your initial requirements, and we will get back to you in no time.
So why wait? Hire our professional writer, and let us turn your story into an amazing autobiography.
Barbara P (Literature, Marketing)
Dr. Barbara is a highly experienced writer and author who holds a Ph.D. degree in public health from an Ivy League school. She has worked in the medical field for many years, conducting extensive research on various health topics. Her writing has been featured in several top-tier publications.
Dr. Barbara is a highly experienced writer and author who holds a Ph.D. degree in public health from an Ivy League school. She has worked in the medical field for many years, conducting extensive research on various health topics. Her writing has been featured in several top-tier publications.
Autobiography for work | Bolsheelninsky village council
- Structure of the CV for employment
- Basic elements
- Step-by-step instructions for compiling an CV
- What an employer needs to know from your resume
- Drawing up a psychological profile
- When do you need a CV
- Basic principles compiling an autobiography for work
- Differences between female and male autobiography
- Autobiography for a job in a foreign company
- Autobiography for a job in various services
- Civil service
- Law enforcement agencies
- Medical institutions
- Children’s preschool institutions and schools
- How to write auto curriculum vitae when applying for a job
- Curriculum vitae for employment: sample
- How to write a short curriculum vitae for job search and employment
- Curriculum vitae for job search: examples
- Autobiography of a technical writer
An autobiography is a chronological account of one’s life.
An CV for employment does not have to describe your childhood before entering school. All other information is important for the employer as an opportunity to find out the whole personality of the candidate — not only professional, but also the person himself.
Curriculum vitae submitted to the employer is important for the applicant’s life and is an outdated account of the life and events that influenced his general professional education and development.
Unlike biographical information about work, which requires dry information about experience, skills and professional achievements, the resume should describe all educational institutions, additional education, circles, faculties and schools in which the candidate studied, with the exception of
extracurricular activity (if it is important in the life of the applicant).
How to write and identify a resume — see this video:.
Differences between summaries and writing styles. Emotions, a reflection of feelings and attitudes towards life events; events are expressed in words. You write about yourself, you live a life that excites you.
Your writing style conveys to those who read you how you feel about yourself and those around you. A well-written AB can help you get a job if the text runs through threads of self-respect and self-defence, humanity and creativity.
Structure of the curriculum vitae for employment
You can arrange your resume in any way convenient for you. You can write it however you like, but you must adhere to the structure. Otherwise, the document will be boring to read.
Try to fit all the information from your life to date on one A4 sheet. It’s too big to read in its entirety. As an extreme example, if you’ve had an adventurous life, you might want to write a little more. You should be able to briefly and beautifully state your thoughts on paper in one or two sentences.
Structural text must contain
- Your name and surname, your
- date and place of your birth; and
- information about your parents, your
- Date of enrollment, date of graduation, name of the city where you were born
- Your achievements during your school years (competitions, awards, extracurricular activities)
- What did you achieve at the school you later enrolled in
- Name of college, faculty.
- Start and end dates.
- Place of work — why are you there or how did you find it (if it matters), …
- Reasons for leaving, c
- chronological order — marriage may take place at an earlier or different time, in
- information about your spouse.
- information about your children (if any); — your children, if any, and
- your hobbies, your interests.
- Awards, prizes — why they were awarded,
- What do you think about your career work and development — what is important to you, and
- your passport details.
- your address, your
- your contact information
- Date of the summary,.
Sometimes your employer will give you a form with questions to fill out. If a lot of questions (more than 30-50) are asked unfairly and unreasonably, think about who will read and analyze them. Ask what questions should be answered now and what can be done after hiring.
Believe me, they will call you for an interview soon. You can take the form with you. Usually no one reads the answers to more than 25-30 questions. Everyone appreciates your time. Likewise. Is not it?
Step-by-step instructions for compiling a CV
The text begins with the words «I, first and last name, born on (date)». Then «Mother — (mother’s data, date of birth, occupation)». Father — information about the father.
Information about the family in which you were born is automatically based on general requirements and levels of cultural and social status.
Academic year. Dates of registration and release. What achievements have you made during this period? This information characterizes you as a person (dutifulness, organization, leadership qualities — all this manifests itself during the school year).
Find here the documents required to apply for a job and the rules to be filled out.
Autobiography of a woman for work.
Student envelope. Start and end dates of the study. Teachers results. First job. If the reason why you got a job increases your reputation, explain it (for example, an invitation from an employer, first place in a competition, etc.).
Date and reason for resignation. This is an important point. Your answer will determine your human assets, your attitude to work, your credibility, your career, and so on.
Therefore, if you are unfairly fired, your rationale for dismissal and your attitude towards the event must respect other people’s opinions as well as your own. Indicate if you would be denied publicity for your job, or if you were promoted or received a higher salary.
Marriage. Write down the date of your wedding. Describe how, if at all possible, it will affect your work. Information about your spouse. Write your name and date of birth. Occupation or profession. If your spouse is on maternity leave, write.
Children. Children — gender, date of birth, age and place of residence. If they are divorced or deceased, give the dates in chronological order. If this is important to you, you can briefly write why.
Your hobbies, interests, love for sports. They are often important if the company promotes a healthy lifestyle and participates in intra-company competitions or festivals.
The ability to perform on stage, dance, sing or participate in sports competitions while defending company prices is an advantage (in some cases) over other candidates.
If you were a consultant, you personally worked in your specialty and developed projects (or other activities). Please report this watch.
Why are you looking for a job? You must answer this question if you think it’s a good one. You can answer honestly. Everything depends on the situation. If in doubt, leave the answer for the time of oral communication with the employer.
If you are ready to receive training, if necessary, write about it. If you wish, you can report your criminal record. Write down your passport details.
Write down the address where you live. Date and sign. Prepare your resume.
Attach a good sized 3 x 4 photograph of yourself. Professional casual attire and a straight face are not required.
What an employer needs to know from your resume
Do not smoke if you are convinced that people who smoke are not welcome in the company and really need this job. There are many ways to curb your cravings and quit smoking.
Don’t write them unless you know someone from your past life who could ruin your job interview.
Don’t say you’re depressed and longing for isolation — you have an appointment with your doctor but can’t get a job.
Before presenting yourself as a person of principle and unnecessarily simple, find out if you need it. These character traits should not be emphasized.
Do not judge anyone. If you can’t do anything about it, state the facts and the implications. Readers will draw their own conclusions.
Tip: Write your autobiography and set it aside for a day. Read it again and review. Postponed for two more days. Read as if you are reading about someone else.
Draw conclusions — what your personality says about you in your resume. Do you want to work with him or her? Would you take him to work? Improve it a little, but don’t overdo it. Of course, everything is necessary.
Here you can find out what a job order is and how it is issued.
Compiling a psychological profile
In Soviet times, most people wrote their autobiography when they entered an institute, university or got a job. Such documents were an integral part of the personal file of employees. Ask your parents, grandparents about it, take an interest!
In today’s world, personal stories allow an employer or recruiter to learn more about a new hire.
Employers learn from these stories
- What background did the candidate come from?
- Where they went to school, where they worked, their number is
- marital status, their children, their
- Interests and hobbies; and
- professional achievements.
What you write in your resume and how you write it is of great importance for creating a psychological portrait of a person. Psychologists, handwriting experts, security officers and other professionals work with such documents in government agencies, security services and large private companies. Use the details to draw general conclusions about the employee or applicant.
Let’s see how it works:.
|Examples||Features of the psychological profile.|
|Too much text, the biography is «stretched» to two or three pages.||Vanity, ambition, very bright.|
|Education and work history do not match resume||Negligence, poor mental qualities, propensity to provide false information|
|Many errors and corrections in the text of||Low literacy rate|
|The structure of the test does not meet the requirements of the employer||Negligence, poor work ethic|
|Clear, concise and logical formulation||Reasonable, disciplined|
When do you need a CV? Employers have the right to demand this at their own will.
However, there are other cases where a resume is required:
- those who serve in the armed forces on a contract basis; and
- Candidates for elective office; and
- applications for higher education, including master’s, postgraduate and doctoral programs; and
- belonging to a political party; and
- Entry into government, and
- applying for citizenship; and
- work in the prosecutor’s office and other law enforcement agencies;
- Registration of guardianship, guardianship or adoption of a child.
- Employment in certain socially significant professions (teachers, doctors, educators).
Basic principles for writing a resume for a job
There are no clear criteria or templates for writing a resume. Employers may require that the resume be written in any format. In some cases, the Human Resources department will compile a list of questions that need to be answered in writing.
- Text written by hand. This ensures that the candidate has the skills, ability to formulate ideas, vocabulary, and the ability to isolate key facts. In addition, if the staff has a professional handwriting specialist, the employer receives an accurate psychological portrait of the candidate for the position.
- Chronological order. From the very beginning, you need to tell about your life — where you were born, where you studied, where you worked, etc.
- Laconically. Don’t make it too long if you don’t want to «cover» your entire life and work history. Remember that this is an official document that will be presented in your personal file, and not a novel.
During personal interviews with a recruiter, you will often be asked to write a resume. Therefore, it is recommended to prepare it in advance.
Differences between female and male autobiography
Although there are few documentation requirements, job seekers often ask how to write a female or male resume. In fact, there are several differences
1. if the applicant has not held a position, it is worth indicating the reason for this in order to avoid misunderstandings; 2. if the applicant did not hold a position, it is worth indicating the reason for this in order to avoid misunderstandings. For example, for health reasons.
Curriculum vitae for a job in a foreign company
When applying for a job in a foreign company or foreign firm, you may be asked to introduce yourself in a foreign language.
There are several solutions to this problem.
Write your own. If you know the required language at least at B2 level, you can write it yourself.
Use an interpreter. You need to prepare a resume in Russian in advance. Remember, however, that direct translation can significantly change the meaning of the text.
Find a native speaker. Ideally, if there is a person from the desired country in your environment. For a fee, he can compile a resume on your behalf in compliance with all rules and regulations.
Curriculum vitae for employment in various services
Where you apply depends on how your resume looks. Let’s look at some of the nuances and examples of resumes for different positions and professions.
If you want to get a job in the public service (government, local government or any other public organization), you need to have an impeccable reputation.
Your CV must also state that you and your close relatives have no criminal record;
- ; and
- Do you have relatives living abroad.
Future civil servants are encouraged to subtly demonstrate a sense of civic duty and patriotism when writing a resume. For example, mention your involvement in charitable activities or important social projects in your city.
Law enforcement agencies
If you are applying for a job in the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Emergency Situations or other law enforcement agencies, a well-written resume will give you a significant competitive advantage.
In addition to the standard information, you can add the following.
- «Not recognized as disabled or incompetent»; and
- ‘I have not been convicted in an administrative or criminal case’,.
- ‘I am a citizen of Russia’,
- ‘I am not a relative holding a position in the relevant authority.’
When contacting the police, the Investigative Committee, the Federal Penitentiary Service, the FSB or the prosecutor’s office, please note that all the applicant’s documents are checked by the internal security service. Therefore, even the slightest deviation from the truth should not be allowed. Truth and only truth.
The following information can be added to general information
- Personal sports achievements, hobbies, hobbies.
- List of computer skills
- driving license category, general driving experience, a
- Knowledge of foreign languages; and
- Information about interesting and useful hobbies.
- Not a bad habit.
If you are applying for a job in a financial institution, your resume may include some important facts from your life.
- No debt.
- Positive credit history, a
- personal investment accounts, and
- Excellent financial history.
Your application is subject to a background check for criminal history, background, and financial stability by the bank’s security department. Therefore, it is not recommended to embellish your passport or try to hide the facts.
When writing a medical resume, it’s best to keep it business-like. In addition to the list of important milestones in your life, you can include the following
- Professional publications.
- awards you have received, plus
- Internships abroad, and
- study or training courses abroad.
A resume can list several qualities that all medical staff should have. These are empathy, attention, responsiveness and sensitivity.
Nurseries and schools
Those who want to work with children, such as general education teachers, educators, childcare workers and social workers, are also required to complete a resume. It is important not only to be honest and realistic, but also how you present it.
Teachers of the Russian language are expected to have elegant syllabic work, developed literacy skills and the ability to express their thoughts correctly. However, it is important for educators to show employers that they can work with children by communicating clearly and simply.
That’s why you can write your resume in the form of a fascinating fairy tale or fictional story.
How to write an autobiography when applying for a job
Curriculum vitae, or resumes, are one of the most basic forms of bureaucracy. This is a document that simply reports on important events in a person’s life related to education, professional growth and marital status.
It is important to know how to write a resume because in many cases people do not need to provide a summary of their historical life. The preparation of such a document is relevant when a person applies for a new job or a new position.
A job CV is a special document that helps streamline the bureaucratic recruitment process. Based on this form, the personnel department issues an employee card for a new employee. Its text is of interest to the employer.
This is due to the fact that writing skills, the logic of presentation, indicate the level of knowledge and skills of the employee.
An autobiography differs from a curriculum vitae in that it contains comprehensive information about a person. his personal achievements, marital status, education, etc.
The difficulty in writing a resume is that there is no standard format. A potential employee should freely tell the main facts about his life and work.
Not having a special form doesn’t mean you can write everything about your personal life. If your resume says that you received a certificate of participation in the Golden Autumn competition in your first year, this is strange and completely irrelevant.
As a business letterhead document, the resume has rules and requirements for the following information
- The text should be short; and
- Information must be true and accurate, and
- The basic principle of presenting the events of the biography is chronological, in
- The style of presentation must be businesslike, and
- Avoid modification.
An autobiography can be written in handwritten form or typed on a computer in word format. The structure of specific information — it is important to respect the structure; write in order on sheets of A4 paper.
- Title — the name of the document and the name of the person who compiled it. Place it in the center of the form.
- Enter your passport details (year and place of birth).
- Briefly, who are the parents: last name, first name, patronymic, nationality, education, position held at the time of retirement according to the resume.
- In chronological order, enter your personal information about the training you completed. For secondary, vocational and higher education, please provide the number/name and location of schools, faculties or directorates, and the degrees obtained.
- Give a precise description of the employment course as soon as possible. Maintain a time sequence of changes that have occurred in the field of employment and work responsibilities, and indicate the year of commencement and year of termination of the employment relationship at a particular workplace.
- Marital status Details of their marital status.
- If they are required to do military service, provide details based on the military register.
- Give a brief description of yourself — your interests and hobbies, and what your functions are.
- Legal address, phone number and other contact details.
Managers hiring people for positions that require creativity are asked to write an essay in which creativity is included in autobiographical information. In this case, they should coexist with the candidate’s concerns about the relevance of his chosen profession and the reasons why he chose this particular company.
Job CV sample
To create a meaningful short life profile that highlights only the highlights of your life, see sample
Selik Maratovich Kasenov.
My name is Kusainov Selik Maratovich, I was born on April 29, 1976 in Almaty. Parents: mother — Kusainova Amira Ibragimovna, born in 1946, housewife; father — Sataeva Amira Ibragimovna, born in 1941, candidate of sciences.
He is a citizen of Kazakhstan. My native language is Kazakhstan, I speak English and Russian fluently (I speak, read, translate without a dictionary).
In 1983 he entered the first grade of the gymnasium; four from Almaty, graduated with a complete secondary education at 1994; in 1994 he was admitted to the Faculty of Economics of the Kazakhstan State Technical University; in 1999 he graduated with a diploma in economics; in 1999 he was admitted to the Faculty of Economics of the Kazakhstan State Technical University; in 2001 he was admitted to the Faculty of Economics of the Kazakhstan State Technical University.
From 1999 to 2001 he worked at the Kazakhstan University of Economics and Business as a senior lecturer at the Ministry of Economics and Business under the name of T. Riskov.
Since 2001, he has been working as an economist at LLP «TEK-Kazakhstan». In 2007, he completed an internship in Russia and the USA and was assigned to LLP «Kazakhstan», where he headed the department of strategic planning of the fuel and energy complex. He was appointed to the post of head of the strategic planning department of the fuel and energy complex. He served in this position until December 2017.
He quit due to transfer to another job.
He is exempt from military service for health reasons. Marriage. Wife — Kusainova Emilia Azamatovna, 1977 year of birth, housewife. He has a son — Marat Serikovich Kusainov, born in 2008.
In his spare time he uses foreign financial publications. Scientific work, publication of research results, lecturing economists at training courses.
January 19, 2018 (signature) S. M. Kusainov.
General ideas on how to write a resume, the information you need to submit, simplifies the bureaucratic stage of applying for a job. When writing your resume, be honest and accurate, engage employers, and give them a good idea of your skills and competencies.
- Salary in Kazakhstan
Be informed first
Subscribe to receive news, photos, videos and other details about Kazakhstan.
How to write a short curriculum vitae for job hunting and getting hired
The hardest part is getting started. Think, focus and work on the details that will make it effective, engaging and memorable. You need to get the employer’s attention.
The following steps and instructions will help you write the right resume for your job search
1. be present. The first sentence should include your first and last name, then you can add any important information you want to emphasize. training, certifications or professional achievements.
2. After the opening sentence, tell us about your hobbies, values, and outlook on life. The following questions will help you with this:
- What can you offer in a particular position or in a particular company? What have you learned?
- What skills and competencies make you a good employee?
- What values have helped shape you as a person?
- What events in your life have influenced your career and career development?
- What helped you find your previous job and why?
- What goals do you strive to achieve in your professional activities?
- What did you value most about the company you worked for?
- Are you responsible for your job responsibilities? Have you exceeded your limits?
3. Please provide other important information: current or previous job title, company name, industry you worked in, including responsibilities. This information is very important for potential employers.
4. Tell us about your most important accomplishments.
Don’t write a long list of 50 achievements in your life and career. Write down your main achievements related to this stage of the job search or application process. It is important here to understand what the goals and objectives of your resume are.
5. take stock.
Your resume should be one, two or three short paragraphs (average 300-500 words). Keep your resume short and simple. It is this text that draws more attention to the employer, it is easier to read, it is very simple and fast.
If you are writing an autobiography for a personal professional website, there are almost no restrictions — the text can be from 1,500 to 2,000 words.
6. In addition to writing a resume to one person, you run the risk of writing about yourself to a third person. This gives the impression that someone else is talking about your achievements and professional experience. Experiment!
In any case, your name and surname must be indicated in the text. This is also done to improve SEO if you are writing an autobiography for your own business website (search engines know the article is written «for you»).
7. Include interesting stories, funny stories related to your profession, or other stories that inspired you in your career (if your target audience allows).
8. At the end of your resume, when applying for a job, indicate your contact details.
- Your email address, a
- A link to your business media site and/or a link to another job search platform containing information about you; and
- a link to your personal website.
9. Check text for grammar and spelling errors
10. Use Canva’s visual processor to make your resume look presentable in the workplace. Very simple and easy to use, many standards are already available (including for free) I use Canva to create all the sample documents, as well as infographics for my website and social networks.
Curriculum vitae for job search: examples
Consider some examples of autobiographies. Autobiographies are completely different in direction and content. This makes it easy to decide what style to write your autobiography in.
Autobiography of a technical writer
My name is Alexander Ivanov. My first job was as an electrician, then I was a foreman and factory manager, in the 1990-80s I was a businessman, retailing and wholesaling stationery.
From 2010 to 2016, he headed Energocomb Group LLC (Moscow), where he conducted seminars and conducted technical specifications, technical projects, led teams of developers and business analysts. I taught at the university and was a visiting lecturer at the School of Management. I have a higher education in the field of mechanical energy and information technology, candidate of technical sciences.
Using Corel Graphics and Photoshop, I can shoot movies in Vegas, create infographic cartoon displays, write job descriptions and process instructions, travel to Tmutarakan, research topics on my own, conduct interviews, explain business process, explain process, do technical work and technical the work of developers, check the results of their work, write change and modification specifications and reviews.
Principles of selection of vital material for biography and memoirs (Main sources) — Literary criticism and theory of literature
Whoever does not share what he has found is like a light in the hollow of a sequoia tree (an ancient Native American proverb)
9061 0 Bibliographic record:
Principles of selection of vital material for biography and memoirs (Main sources). — Text: electronic // Myfilology. ru — informational philological resource: [website]. – URL: https://myfilology.ru//137/princzipy-otbora-zhiznennogo-materiala-dlya-biografii-i-memuarov-osnovnye-istochniki/ (date of access: 19.07.2023)
To date, the term «biography» is quite widely studied. The concept of «biography» is given in all Explanatory Dictionaries of the Russian language. The word «biography» itself comes from two Greek words: bios — life and grapho — I write. Thus, it means «biography». In Russian, the word «biography» came from French, retaining its Greek roots. But from the beginning of the 19th century, when the first translations of the biographical books of ancient authors (Plutarch, Tacitus) appeared, the name “biography” was assigned to them, going back to the Latin name of such works as “Vita-scritta” (“description of life”). The first biographies appeared in the era of antiquity. Their heroes were rulers and famous people (“Comparative Biographies” by Plutarch, “Life of the Twelve Caesars” by Suetonius, “Biographies of Famous Painters” by G. Vasari).
This is how the genre of biography was created, in which the greatest writers of all countries and eras (Voltaire, R. Rolland, S. Zweig) then worked prominent cultural figures (book by V.P. Vyazemsky «D.I. Fonvizin», «Biography of F.I. Tyutchev» by I.S. Aksakov) social reality of the era.
Biography helps to understand the formation of personality, the direction, nature and process of a person’s creative and social activity. The types of biography are diverse: it can be scientific, artistic, academic, popular, etc.
Sources of biographical narrative
Biography in the modern sense is the critical use of sources, historical accuracy. When studying the «history of life» the following private archival materials are used: personal records and documents. The main type of private document is the autobiography.
Autobiography — description of one’s life; a literary genre close to memoirs, but characterized by a greater focus on the personality and inner world of the author. An autobiography is also called a brief chronicle-reference summary of the main events of one’s own life. Autobiographies can be divided into complete, thematic and edited. Thematic autobiographies, unlike complete autobiographies, are focused on a specific area of personal experience or period of life. The merit of autobiographies is the great reliability in the description of the personal «lining» of events. However, one must always remember that an autobiography is a history reconstructed by the subject at a certain point in his life.
Private archival documentation also includes diaries, private records, memoirs, personal letters, records of conversations, etc. Increasing the reliability of «life stories» based on such personal documents as diaries and memoirs requires the involvement of additional sources, use of special methods of critical analysis.
Diary — genre of memoir literature. In literature, the diary genre is characterized by the form of narration in the first person. It is kept in the form of everyday, usually dated, synchronous records from the point of view of the system of reflection of reality. As a non-literary genre, the diary is distinguished by extreme sincerity and trust.
Memoirs — memories of the past, written by participants or contemporaries of some events. They are created on the basis of the personal experience of their authors, but meaningful in accordance with their individuality and socio-political views of the time of writing memoirs. The main source of information for memoirs is the authors’ memories of the experience, but along with them, various documentation, diaries, letters, press, etc. are sometimes used.
The value of memoirs for historical science is determined by their specificity, the ability to reflect the author’s personal attitude to the events in which he participated.
The personal letters of can also be considered an important source of biographical data. A letter can tell quite important things not only about its author, but also about the recipient and the relationship between the first and second. Both the style and the way of presentation, and the frequency of correspondence can be as informative as the actual content of the letter. An important additional source of biographical data is also official archival documents: civil status records (births, deaths, marriages), government documents, social statistics, archives of political, public organizations and administrative bodies. In departmental archives, important biographical documents related primarily to professional careers can be found: personal personnel records, information about awards and penalties, and characteristics.
A variation of the genre of memoirs is travelling:
- 1) Traveling through any territory in order to study them. Until the 18th and 19th centuries, travel was one of the main sources of information about certain countries, the general character and shape of the Earth’s surface.