Infant Formula | FAQs | Community Water Fluoridation | Division of Oral Health
Breastfeeding is ideal for infants. Breast milk is easy to digest and contains antibodies that can protect infants from bacterial and viral infections. Learn more about the benefits of breastfeeding.
If breastfeeding is not possible, formula can be used. Parents should speak with their pediatrician about what type of infant formula is best for their child.
Because most infant formulas contain low levels of fluoride, regularly mixing powdered or liquid infant formula concentrate with fluoridated water may increase the chance of a child developing the faint white markings of mild fluorosis.
Three types of infant formula are available in the United States: powdered formula, which comes in bulk or single-serve packets, concentrated liquid, and ready-to-feed formula. Ready-to-feed formula contains little fluoride and does not cause dental fluorosis. The kinds of formula that must be mixed with water—powdered or liquid concentrates—may increase the chance of dental fluorosis if they are the child’s main source food and if the water is fluoridated.
Yes, you can use fluoridated water for preparing infant formula. However, if your child is only consuming infant formula mixed with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis. To lessen this chance, parents can use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix infant formula; these bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled, and without any fluoride added after purification treatment. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires the label to indicate when fluoride is added.
Yes, you can use bottled water to reconstitute (mix) powdered or liquid concentrate infant formulas, but be aware that the fluoride content in bottled water varies. If your child is exclusively consuming infant formula reconstituted with water that contains fluoride, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis (a change in the appearance of tooth enamel creating barely visible lacy white markings). To lessen this chance, parents may choose to use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix infant formula. These bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled and are without any fluoride added after purification treatment (FDA requires the label to indicate when fluoride is added). Some water companies make available bottled waters marketed for infants and for the purpose of mixing with formula. When water is labeled as intended for infants, the water must meet tap water standards established by the EPA and indicate that the water is not sterile. For more information, see the FDA’s general Q&A about bottled water and infant formulaexternal icon.
Page last reviewed: November 3, 2015
Content source: Division of Oral Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Amazon.com: Bay Bay Water — Purified Distilled Water for Babies — 16.9 oz. — Use for Everyday Drinking, Infant Formula, Milk, and Baby Cereal — BPA Free — No Fluoride, Phosphate
4. 6 4.6 out of 5 stars
We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.
|Variety||Distilled, Mineral, Purified|
|Item Volume||500 Milliliters|
|Unit Count||202.8 Fl Oz|
- 𝐏𝐔𝐑𝐄 | 𝐏𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐈𝐄𝐒: Distillation is the method where pure Water is collected by removing the impurities such as metals, minerals etc. 𝐁𝐚𝐲-𝐁𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 undergoes a Multi-Step Distillation process, to ensure that the water is free from impurities, contaminants, minerals and toxins that can be harmful to your infants, newly born babies. It also helps in preventing Water Borne Diseases.
- 𝐌𝐔𝐋𝐓𝐈-𝐔𝐒𝐄: Use for every day drinking, infant formula, Milk Powder and Baby Cereal. Our distilled water can also be used for CPAP machines, mixing baby formula and nasal cleansing.
- 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄 | 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐇-𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐘: Our distilled baby drinking water does not contain any minerals, ensuring that your baby won’t experience stomach discomforts and diarrhea, caused by too much mineral. Distilled water can remove harmful toxins from your body. This is why it is the best choice during a cleanse. You can detoxify the system and replenish minerals that you need.
- 𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒 | 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐅𝐈𝐓𝐒, 𝐈𝐓 𝐈𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐕𝐄: Baby water has Pure safety for a happy belly. Our purified distilled water for babies is offered in 𝟏𝟐 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝟐𝟒 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬, making it a more economical choice compared to buying individual gallons of water every now and then.
- 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐘 𝐓𝐎 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘 | 𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄: Tired of lugging around large water jugs and containers for your baby’s needs? Our distilled baby water is made available in 16. 9 oz BPA-free bottles that easily fit in your baby’s diaper bag. So you can easily carry it with yourself while Travelling.
- 𝐂𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐒𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍: Your baby’s safety is our top priority, that is why we inspect each and every bottle and check our filters regularly. This ensures that our water is always pure fresh and clean. The Water is distilled and purify according to high standards to maintain reliability and customers Trust. This Product is Certified by National Testing Laboratories Ltd. Following the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (𝐅-𝐃-𝐀) Quality Standards 21CFR Section 165.110(b).
- 𝟕 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬: Our distilled water is made in a CGMP-certified and FDA-registered facility. 100% free from Fluoride, Mold, Chlorine, Fungi, Pesticides, Viruses, Minerals, Parasites, Lead and bacteria.
See more product details
Shop products from small business brands sold in Amazon’s store. Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazon’s commitment to empowering them.
This product is from a small business brand. Support small.
Roskachestvo experts answer questions about drinking water
We have received hundreds of emails and calls since the publication of the research results and formed the top myths and questions that are of most interest to consumers. Does water have an expiration date? Why does mineral water bloom? Is distilled water sterile? Roskachestvo talks about the most popular theses about water and answers questions.
Shelf life and flowering — how?
Many consumers are interested in the question of whether water has a shelf life. The shelf life of water varies from 1 to 1.5 years. But you need to understand that even water from a source under the influence of high temperature and sunlight will become unusable. Drinking water is divided into three groups — the highest category, the first and mineral. You should not buy water with an expiration date, especially if it is mineral. Such water is extracted from artesian sources and gets on the shelves of hypermarkets without going through complex purification procedures. If improperly stored in a store or during transportation, microorganisms may begin to develop in the water, contributing to its flowering. (This is exactly the problem in isolated cases that we identified in the study). We recommend storing water in a cool place protected from sunlight at a temperature of 5-15°C.
Can I drink distilled water?
Distilled water does not cope with the function of mineral nutrition, when a person drinks such water, the body does not receive the optimal amount of mineral salts and microelements. In fact, distilled water is purified «empty» water. We still recommend paying attention to the water from the study.
Glass or plastic?
It is believed that glass is the safest container for a person — water does not react with it. This cannot be said about plastic: under the influence of high temperatures, components that are undesirable for humans can pass into water.
Note that we did not identify such a problem — during the study, no traces of «migration» of harmful substances from plastic were recorded. In terms of safety, water in plastic containers did not differ on average from water in glass bottles. However, glass is the choice for those who want maximum guarantee of drink safety.
What determines the taste of water?
Water is perhaps the most organoleptically neutral commodity imaginable. At the same time, a person usually prefers a certain brand of water, and an unknown product can irritate taste buds.
It turns out that the taste of water depends on the composition of saliva. For example, glucose, which is contained in saliva, will «make» water sweeter, and sodium chloride will make it more salty. Sometimes the taste of the same brand of water can change periodically depending on the change in the composition of our saliva at a particular time. It turns out clear evidence of why tastes still do not argue.
In addition, as the study showed, today the mineral balance of bottled water varies so much that the predominance of certain minerals or elements will also be reflected in the taste.
Quality depends on quantity?
There is an opinion that water in large five-liter bottles is not intended to quench thirst. It is purchased for other purposes — cooking soups or boiling, especially in the fight against scale. The problem of many homes is hard tap water, which dries the skin when used externally and bitter when used internally. After boiling it, a dense white precipitate always remains.
The Roskachestvo study refuted the dependence of water quality on the volume of containers. Buying products with a volume of 1 and 5 liters from the same manufacturer, you will get the same consumer properties.
More about the results of the study: HERE
Water quality for baby food production
The basis of good health and a happy life for kids is wholesome, tasty and healthy food. Water for the production of baby food must be clean, strictly comply with sanitary requirements, quality standards and safety standards. It is impossible to use liquid from the central line due to the content of chlorine residues, calcium and magnesium salts in the composition.
Water in food production, especially in the production of baby food, undergoes thorough water treatment using efficient installations.
- Three-layer mechanical or mesh filters release solid particles of different fractions and reduce the load for further filtration.
- The removal of iron and manganese, which affect the taste of water and food, occurs by oxidation with ion-exchange resins.
- Aeration with ozone or the use of carbon filters eliminates hydrogen sulfide, which gives an unpleasant odor and affects finished products.
- UV disinfection without the use of chlorine removes bacteria, microorganisms, viruses.
- Filters with ion exchange resins are used to soften hard water, freeing it from calcium and magnesium salts, unpleasant taste and scale formation.
Mostly in baby food enterprises, reverse osmosis filters are used, the most effective method of purification with the production of almost distilled water.
Many children prefer to drink water instead of juices. Active children on a walk often ask for some water, especially on hot days. Every mother, going outside with her baby, takes a bottle of baby water, which is sold in specialized stores.
Purified water use
In the production process of food for children, water is used for various purposes:
- washing fruits, vegetables
- preparation of glass jars for packing finished products
- use for adjusting the consistency of purees, cereals, soups
- steam decontamination of process tanks
- washing equipment
Water of different composition is used for each stage. Effective cleaning eliminates the occurrence of allergic reactions, poisoning, and infectious diseases in young children. Products will not change color and will not undergo oxidation from the presence of manganese and iron salts. The financial cost of a reliable filtration system will quickly pay off.
Application for the selection of equipment
Short application form
Extended application form
9000 2 Yes Need to be done
Attach water analysis
* By clicking on the button «Send request» I agree to the processing of personal data0005
Source of supply Source of supply Well well City water supply Local water supply
Requirements for the quality of purified water Requirements for the quality of purified water life. needs
Water test results
Total iron (Total Fe)
Permanganate oxidizability (PMO) 9000 5
Other indicators that do not correspond to the norm
Visual characteristics of water Visual characteristics of water initially transparent cloudy
Selection of the production of a water treatment system
Number of permanent residents.