Baby Name Meaning, Origin and Popularity
Baby & Toddler
RECOMMENDED COMMUNITY FORUMS
Best of The Bump AwardsTools
June 16, 2023
Ocean is a Greek baby name meaning “sea”. This gender-neutral baby name is commonly used in the English language and comes from the Ancient Greek name Oceanus. If you love Greek mythology, you’ll love naming baby after one of their oldest Titans. With a name like Ocean, baby can explore the seven seas and experience the world’s greatest phenomena with ease.
On This Page
- Popularity Trend Chart
- Related Baby Names Lists
- Similar Names
- Sibling Name Ideas
- Parents Who Like the Name Ocean Also Like
Explore similar sounding names to find other baby names for your My Favorites list.
Parents Who Like the Name Ocean Also Like:
Related Baby Names Lists
Check out these related baby names lists to discover more baby boy and baby girl names and meanings.
- Baby Girl Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Weird Celebrity Baby Names
- Creative Baby Names
- Hippie Baby Names
- Nature Baby Names
- Baby Girl Names That Start With O
- Baby Names That Start With O
- Top 1000 Baby Names of 2021
- Greek Baby Girl Names
- Baby Names Ending in N
- Baby Girl Names Ending in N
- Ocean Baby Names
- Greek Mythology Baby Names
- Wild Celebrity Baby Names
- The Top 400 Baby Names in 2020
Sibling Name Ideas
Are you looking for a sibling name for Ocean? Here are some great options:
Not sure you have the perfect name? Search to add more baby names to your My Favorites list.
Article saved.Go to My Saved Articles
Boy Names That Mean Ocean
From Neptune to Dylan, this list of boy names that mean “ocean” is lengthy and filled with some delightful options. Peruse the list, which includes the meaning of the names as well, and see if one works well for your hopes and visions for your son.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Ocean
- ArnavArnav is a Hindi name for boys. With strong popularity, the name means “ocean”.
- Bedo Bedo is a simple boy’s name with Welsh origins. It is perfect for a strong baby boy as it means “great lord or sea lord”.
- Cormorant Cormorant is a unique English from Latin name. Fitting for parents who wish for their baby boy to stand out, the name means “sea raven”.
- DelmarDelmar is backed by Spanish origins, but it crosses the cultural line well. It means “of the sea”.
- Delmore Delmore is a nice French name. Meaning “of the sea”, it comes with a cool nickname of “Del” like most given names that begin the same way.
- DylanDylan, with Welsh origins, is a unisex option that has a strong feel when used for boys. It means “son of the sea”.
- Gyatso Gyatso is a powerful name found in Tibetan Buddhism. This meaningful name is added on to each Dalai Lama, and it means “ocean”.
- Havelock Havelock has a slightly romantic feel to it that’s still masculine, and it stems from Scandinavian culture. It means “sea competition”.
- Hurley Hurley, with Irish origins, can usually be found as a surname yet works well as a given name. It means “sea tide”.
- IrvingIrving is a pleasing, classic Scottish name. This has a slightly hipster feel to it thanks to its vintage roots, and it means “green river, sea friend”.
- Kainalu Kainalu is a bold Hawaiian name for boys. This nature name means “ocean that billows”.
- Kaito Kaito is a smooth-sounding Japanese name. It means “sea; ocean”.
- MalikMalik is a unique option from Arabic and Greenlandic roots. It means “king; wave”, making it work well for parents that want a spin on the typical ocean-based names.
- Marino Marino is a Latin name that works as an Italian given name and surname. This means “of the sea”.
- Marvin Marvin is a Welsh name that has a cool vintage vibe. Meaning “sea hill”, it works as a trendy option.
- Merlin Merlin is a strong Welsh name. It is ideal for parents seeking a fantastical name that means “sea fortress”.
- Meriadeg Meriadeg is a unique name for boys with Breton roots. It means “sea brow”, and it comes with a cute nickname for baby boys: “Merry”.
- Morrisey Morrisey is a cool name for boys with Irish origins. This stylish name means “sea taboo”.
- Murphy Murphy is a common Irish family name that easily crosses over into a fashionable given name. It works for a strong baby boy as it means “sea warrior”.
- Neptune Neptune is a robust name for boys. It represents the Roman mythological god of the sea.
- Pelagios Pelagios is a distinct Greek name. Meaning “from the sea”, it has a great classic feel to it that comes with modern nicknames such as “Gus” or “Pel”.
- Takumi Takumi is a compelling Japanese name for boys. It means “artisan; skillful; open ocean”.
- Varuna Varuna is a wonderful Hindu name. It works for parents who seek something strong as it is the name of the god of water and the ocean.
- Zale Zale is a Greek name that sounds sharp and attractive. It means “sea-strength”.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
About the Author
Ashley Haugen is a mom of four kids who are the center of her universe. She is also a writer and editor of more than 20 years, 10 of which have been in the parenting space. She enjoys hiking, photography, and gardening, and she’s excited to embark on the journey of raising chickens this spring.
Follow Me On:
🎖▷ Why You Shouldn’t Worry About Weight Gain With Lamictal
If you’re worried that taking Lamictal (lamotrigine) might cause weight gain, there’s good news. It probably won’t affect your weight much. If anything, you’re more likely to lose weight due to Lamictal than gain weight, but either way, the changes are likely to be pretty small.
The effect of Lamictal on weight has been little studied and various clinical trials have found minimal effect. In fact, some researchers even considered the drug as a possible remedy for obesity and as a remedy for overeating. This information should be reassuring for people with bipolar disorder, as many of the medications used to treat this condition can cause weight gain.
Lamictal findings and weight gain or loss
Lamictal is an anticonvulsant that can be used to treat seizures such as epilepsy. It is also used as a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorder.
In the first clinical trials with the drug, 5 percent of adults with epilepsy lost weight while taking Lamictal, while 1 to 5 percent of patients with bipolar I disorder gained weight while taking the drug. The researchers do not disclose how much weight patients have gained or lost.
Meanwhile, a 2006 study comparing the effects on weight of Lamictal, lithium, and placebo found that some Lamictal-treated patients gained weight, some lost weight, and most remained about the same weight. Weight changes are usually not many pounds anyway. Obese patients taking Lamictal lost an average of four pounds, while the weight of non-obese patients remained virtually unchanged.
Relationship between weight gain and other bipolar drugs
Weight gain from medications used to treat bipolar disorder is unfortunately quite common. Some mood stabilizers commonly used for bipolar disorder, especially lithium and Depakote (valproate), carry a high risk of weight gain.
In addition, the atypical antipsychotics Clozaril (clozapine) and Zyprexa (olanzapine) tend to cause significant weight gain in people who take them. Finally, some antidepressants, notably Paxil (paroxetine) and Remeron (mirtazapine), have been associated with weight gain.
Therefore, if you are already overweight, you and your psychiatrist may want to consider additional weight gain when determining your bipolar medication regimen. Based on this, Lamictal may be a good choice.
Lamictal as a possible treatment for obesity
Lamictal has also been studied as a possible treatment for obesity in people without epilepsy or bipolar disorder.
In a small 40-person clinical trial conducted in 2006, researchers randomly assigned participants to receive either lamictal or placebo for up to 26 weeks. Each participant in the study had a body mass index (BMI) between 30 and 40, placing them in the obese group to the level of severe obesity. Those who took Lamictal lost an average of just over 10 pounds. Those who took the placebo lost about 7 pounds in the meantime, so while those who took Lamictal lost more weight, they didn’t lose all that much more.
Another study in 2009 looked at Lamictal as a remedy for overeating. This study involved 51 people with the condition that 26 of them received Lamictal, and 25 — placebo.
Those who took Lamictal lost more weight than those who took placebo (about 2.5 pounds versus about one-third of a pound) and did have significant improvements in blood sugar and cholesterol lab test results. However, Lamictal did not appear to affect other aspects of the eating disorder when compared to placebo.
Post Views: 53,485
Name of the Ocean: meaning and origin, fate and character
This name has a deep meaning in the mythology and culture of many nations. This name is associated with the immensity, power and infinity of the seas and oceans, which personify the power of nature and its power over man. In this article, we will look at the history of the origin of the name Ocean and its meaning in different cultures.
Origin and Meaning
The name of the Ocean has an ancient history of origin. In ancient Greek mythology, Oceanus was the god of the seas, who ruled over all the waters of the world. Its name comes from the Greek word «okeanos» which means «great stream of water». The ocean was one of the first gods revered by the ancient Greeks, and his name was of great importance for the culture of that time.
The meaning of Ocean’s name is related to its symbolic meaning. The ocean was considered the source of life and fertility, and its waters were a symbol of infinity and divine power. In ancient Greek mythology, the Ocean was also associated with the idea of the unity of all things, since its waters covered the entire earth. He was also associated with the idea of immortality and divine power, as his strength was invincible.
Today this name is used in various contexts related to the sea and water. It can be used as a name for a boy or girl, as well as the name of a company, product or service related to the nautical theme. Although the meaning of Ocean’s name may vary depending on the context, its symbolic meaning as a source of life and divine power remains unchanged.
Character and destiny
The ocean is one of the largest and most mysterious phenomena of our planet. Its water occupies more than 70% of the Earth’s surface and is the source of life for many plant and animal species. The name of the Ocean has a deep symbolic meaning and is associated with the mythology of the ancient Greeks.
According to legend, Oceanus was the son of Tethys and Uranus, god of the sky. He was one of the titans — powerful gods who ruled the world before the arrival of the Olympian gods. The ocean was known for its wisdom and strength, as well as the ability to control the waters of the world’s oceans.
This name has a deep symbolic meaning. It means not only water, but also infinity, infinity, endless movement and the flow of life. The ocean is a symbol of eternity, infinity and infinity, which reminds us that everything in this world is changeable and temporary.
The fate of the name of the Ocean is connected with the fate of the ocean itself. Today, the world’s oceans are under threat due to climate change, pollution and overpopulation. But this name continues to live and remind us that we must protect and preserve this amazing and mysterious world.
Ocean is a name that does not leave anyone indifferent. It has its advantages and disadvantages, which should be considered when choosing a name for a child.
One of the main advantages of the name Ocean is its beauty and originality. This name is not as common as, for example, Alexander or Catherine, so a child with this name will stand out from the crowd and attract attention.
In addition, the name Ocean is associated with the power and majesty of nature, which can be an additional plus for the child. It can inspire to achieve big goals and motivate for self-development.
However, the name Ocean has its drawbacks. It can be difficult to pronounce and remember for others, especially for foreigners. In addition, some people may consider it too exotic and unusual.
Another disadvantage of the name Ocean is its possible negative impact on the character of the child. Some people believe that names associated with nature can make a child too dreamy and unbalanced.
In general, the choice of the name Ocean depends on the personal preferences of the parents and their desire to highlight their child. If you want to give your child an unusual and beautiful name, then Ocean can be a great choice. However, it is worth considering its shortcomings and possible consequences for the character of the child.
Which professions are suitable
The name of the Ocean, like the very concept of the ocean, is associated with immensity, depth and power. People who bear this name usually have a strong character, self-confidence and strive to achieve big goals. What professions can suit the name of the Ocean?
- Maritime professions. It is obvious that people with the name Oceana can find their calling at sea. They can become sailors, ship captains, fishermen or divers. Working at sea requires a strong spirit, the ability to make decisions in extreme situations and a readiness for adventure.
- Professions related to science. The ocean is not only a place for recreation and entertainment, but also an object of research for scientists. People with this name may find their calling in the scientific study of marine life, the study of climate and ocean currents, and the development of new technologies for ocean exploration.
- Professions related to art. The ocean is a source of inspiration for many artists, writers and musicians. People with the Ocean name may find their calling in creating works of art that reflect the beauty and power of the ocean.
In general, professions suitable for the name Ocean should be related to nature, extreme conditions and require a strong spirit and self-confidence.
What color suits
This name in itself evokes associations with depth, power and infinity. Therefore, when choosing a color that fits this name, these characteristics must be taken into account.
One of the most appropriate colors for the name Ocean is blue. This color is associated with water and the sky, which goes well with the theme of the ocean. Blue color also symbolizes calmness, harmony and freedom, which reflects the power and infinity of the ocean.
You can also use shades of blue, which are also associated with water and depth. Dark blue can emphasize the power and mystery of the ocean, while light blue can emphasize its transparency and purity.
It is important to remember that the choice of color for Ocean’s name depends on the context and purpose of its use. For example, for a logo for a shipping company, a combination of blue and white colors may be appropriate, which symbolize freshness and cleanliness. At the same time, for an ocean expedition poster, a brighter combination of colors, such as blue and orange, can be used to attract attention and create an adventure effect.
Which stones and talismans are suitable
This name has a deep symbolic meaning associated with water, sea and infinity. Therefore, when choosing stones and talismans for this name, one should take into account their energy properties and compliance with the symbolism.
One of the most suitable stones for the name Ocean is lapis lazuli. It is associated with the depth of the sea and the sky, which reflects the symbolism of the name. Lapis lazuli is also considered a stone of wisdom and spiritual enlightenment, which can help the Ocean in his personal growth and development.
Another stone that might be appropriate for Ocean’s name is aquamarine. It is associated with purity and clarity, which can help the Ocean in maintaining clarity of thought and making the right decisions. Aquamarine is also considered a stone of peace and harmony, which can help the Ocean in maintaining balance and harmony in life.
Also, fish or dolphin charms may be appropriate for the Ocean name, as they are associated with the sea and water. These talismans can help the Ocean stay connected to nature and the natural elements.
In general, when choosing stones and talismans for the name of the Ocean, one should take into account their symbolic meaning and compliance with the energy properties of the name. This will help to create a harmonious and suitable environment for the Ocean and its development.
Love and family relationships
This name has a deep symbolic meaning associated with infinity and infinity. People bearing this name usually have a strong character and strive for freedom and independence. However, despite their independence, they can also be very devoted and loving partners.
In a love relationship, people with the name Ocean usually look for a partner who will support their desire for freedom and independence. They don’t like to have their will imposed on them, so it’s important that their partner is willing to compromise and respect their personal space.
Family relationships for the name of the Ocean are also very important. They value family traditions and are ready to do everything possible to maintain family harmony. They can be very devoted parents and are willing to sacrifice their own interests for the well-being of their loved ones.
In general, people with the name Ocean have a strong character and strive for freedom and independence, however they can also be very devoted and loving partners and parents. In love and family relationships, they are looking for a partner who will be ready to compromise and respect their personal space.